Dr. Vinky Rughwani is a Paediatrician and Founder President of Thalassemia Society of Central India. He is working for welfare of Thalassemia and Sickle Cell patients and prevention of this illness in the Country especially in the Central part of India since more than 20 years. He is a Coordinator for India in Haemoglobinopathy in Thalassemia International Federation.
He has established a Centre for Thalassemia and Sickle Cell children with all modern technologies at Nagpur (Maharashtra) which was inaugurated by Chief Minister of Maharashtra. The children suffering from Thalassemia Major and Sickle Cell disease are given free medical services and free transfusion facility.
Thalassemia major and Sickle Cell are one of the hereditary deadly disease, which is passed on from parents to the child. In this disease there is severe anemia (pale body color due to less hemoglobin), proneness to many infections and early death. The only management to make the individual survive is periodical blood transfusion which drains economic resources and creates psychological problems. India has an estimated Thalassemia disease burden of more than 10,000 babies/year and a exigency for more than 2.5 lakh units of blood/year. With no permanent cure except the high cost involved bone marrow transplantation (also involves risk of available matching donors, high post operative infection rate etc.), Thalassemia is one of the most recognized genetic disease in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and most of the South East Asian countries.
Most importantly this dangerous disease can be prevented doing a simple Blood test in Boys and Girls. Therefore before marriage it is necessary to test blood for Thalassemia minor instead of gently horoscopes matched.
With the view in mind Thalassemia Society of Central India was founded in 1998 with Dr. Vinky Rughwani as its President. Besides attempting to check the spread of this disease in the regions like Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Chhatisgarh and other parts of Country, the organisation also aims to create awareness about this disease amongst the general mass. With the help of different social activist groups, government institutions, NGOs and doctors, Dr. Vinky Rughwani through Thalassemia Society of Central Indiahas so far successfully organised more than 350Free camps for testing Thalassemia Minorand Sickle Cell Trait with the help of different social activist groups, government institutions, NGOs and doctors in different parts of country.
This organisation has so far succeeded in free testing of more than 50000 boys and girls for Thalassemia Minorand Sickle Cell Trait.These testing were done in Schools, Colleges, Communities and through Medical Camps. Lot of similar work has been done at naxal affected district Gadchiroli in Maharashtra by him.The detection involves sophisticated instruments for estimated components of hemoglobin with a very high sensitivity and differentiates between the normal readings and thalassemic readings. Almost all the detected cases with Thalassemia minorand Sickle Cell trait, Dr. Vinky Rughwani has taken appropriate steps to provide adequate information (verbal and printed) on the general and important aspects of Thalassemia and the possible ways by which the disease can be prevented. Those who are found to be Thalassemia Minor are individually counseled and advised not to marry with other Thalassemia Minor and thereby prevent the birth of Major child. In many parts of country, the organisation has organised people’s meet; a conceptual interactive public meeting where scope is generated for exchange of information and queries by specialist medical and social scientist. Bydoing all this work by Dr. Vinky Rughwani through Thalassemia Society of Central India has been able to educate the community and thereby have succeeded in decreasing the Thalassemia bourdons in the country especially in Central part of India.
- Simultaneously, as the children who are diagnosed with Thalassemia Major disease need regular blood transfusion, Dr. Vinky Rughwani renders a great service to such children by organising regular blood donation camps and offering blood transfusion to 450 Thalassemia Major children free of cost in his Centre. Dr. Vinky Rughwani also gets the government’s help for providing blood free of cost to children suffering from Thalassemia major. He is instrumental in bringing down the cost of drugs required for these children by apprising Government about the patient’s sufferings from these dreaded disease.
- As a preventive measure, Dr. Vinky Rughwani conducts a free check-up for pregnant women for Thalassemia Minor so that the children to be born will not suffer from dreaded Thalassemia Major. Dr. Vinky Rughwani also organizes many cultural activities and programmes to educate the children suffering from this disease.
- Dr. Vinky Rughwani has also been instrumental in making medicine free of cost needed for the treatment of Thalassemia and Sickle Cell disease. He has appealed to the government to extend all the privileges that are available for the physically challenged people, for the patients of Thalassemia and Sickle Cell disease.
- Dr. Vinky Rughwani was instrumental in getting Free State Transport Bus Travel for Sickle Cell patients in Maharashtra State.
- Patients of Thalassemia Major and Sickle Cell disease are given help in their education by providing them books and material for studies free of cost by Dr. Vinky Rughwani.
- He is an Executive Body Member of Indian Medical Association.
- Dr. Vinky Rughwani has got many awards in his name including special award for his medico social work by Government of Maharashtra at Nagpur Mahotsav in 2014.
- Due to efforts of Dr. Vinky Rughwani patients of Thalassemia and Sickle Cell are getting 20 minutes per hour extra time in Board Examination.